Saturday, January 31, 2015

Currently- February



Listening: If you haven't caught the Sons of Liberty mini-series on the History Channel, then I highly recommend it. It centers on the beginning of the American Revolution, centered in Boston and the resistance led by Sam Adams, John Hancock, and many more. While it's not 100% historically accurate (and what TV show is), it's highly entertaining and really shows you all that it took to create our nation. 

Loving: I'm a huge fan of February, mainly because I get to start the month off with my birthday! Today I've got a day with my family ahead full of birthday margaritas, a movie, and then a Super Bowl party. This year I don't care who wins, I'll be enjoying the commercials and half time show. 

Thinking: For the last several years my friends and I have had a yearly tradition to head a few hours up into the mountains for a weekend. We have a cabin we've rented that sleeps all 11 of us, and we have a blast. It's just nice to get away. One of the benefits of living in California, you're only a few hours away from mountains or beaches, forests or lakes. The cabin we're staying at is an easy walk to the nearby lake, and there happens to be a delicious diner that specializes in cinnamon buns right around the corner.

Wanting:  to see a little snow this weekend, but it's not likely. It is supposed to rain, but not be cold enough for snow. We're in the middle of a pretty warm winter... wishing it would rain and snow in the mountains more and end this drought!

Needing: To study up on the new module I'm starting on Monday. We're about to tackle multiplying and dividing fractions, and while I like our new math program, it takes some studying from me to make sure I understand what I'm teaching each day, and what the ultimate goal for the kids is at the end of each lesson.

Pageant Title:  What can I say? I often have a witty (or sarcastic) remark ready... It's both a gift and a curse...


Thanks again to Farley for linking us all up for this month's Currently. Look forward to it every month!



14 comments:

  1. I love love love your pageant title. You and I could be besties! Happy birthday!

    Krazy Town

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A witty remark always comes in handy, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. 1) Happy Birthday!!!!
    2) I am so glad to meet another upper grade teacher
    3) I am so glad to meet another California blogger


    I am a socal blogger but I live in Socal... Hope your birthday is Ah-Mazing!

    Layla
    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Layla!

      I'm always happy when I see another upper grade blogger. What grade do you teach? I absolutely love 5th grade.

      Nice to meet another California blogger. I feel like there aren't as many up in Norcal...

      Thanks for the birthday wishes!

      Delete
  3. Your trip to the mountains with your friends sounds so nice and relaxing. Hope you have a Happy Birthday!
    Kim
    Curriculum and Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!! I hope you have decent weather for your trip- it sounds lovely! :-)

    Real Teachers Learn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Mel! My husband and I traveled to CA this past summer and loved it! Such a beautiful and different place {We are in PA!}. Celebrate today! :)
    Melissa from Mrs. Dailey's Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's my husband's birthday today too!! I hope you enjoy your day. If you want, you can have some of our snow!! We've got at least 2 feet on the ground here in CT and 8-16 inches more coming tomorrow!
    By the way, I love your blog. This is my first time here! I'm a 4th grade blogger who has taught 5th grade. Looking forward to exploring your blog!
    ~Stacie
    www.smocussmocus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Come to the east coast and you will certainly see some snow!!! :) Hope you have a wonderful birthday!! Enjoy the rest of the week!

    recipeforteaching

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY for another CA blogger! Where in Nor Cal are you? I went to UCDavis! I live in San Diego now :) Happy Belated Birthday. Cute blog!
    -Katie
    http://thepawsitivepencil.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete